Hey!

I wanted to share my kick-starter green juice detox recipe with you. Note that I'm still very much a newbie to my growing health journey, so be patient. I created this concoction a few months ago one random day after surfing the web for weeks gathering information on the best ways to start juicing in your diet

After visiting my local farmer's market, which happens to be pretty convenient street-market, I decided to dive into the world of juicing. My inspiration for beginning my juicing journey came from watching "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" by Joe Cross. Awesome guy! It really opened my eyes up to more possibilities. I even attempted to share the documentary with a few of my family members who would appreciate it more if they actually were serious about bettering their health. 

Yeah... people just enjoy complaining, I guess. 

I was so excited to work my mixology magic in the kitchen so prepping was a breeze, along with some shake-a-tailfeather music in my ears. What's so great about green juices is that there are TONS of recipes out on them. You can literally create something tailored to your tastebuds. For my Hulk Green Juice I purchased bananas, rainbow chard, green apples, and spinach. The following information about their health benefits are:


  • Bananas- Their naturally fat and cholesterol free. Filled with nutrients like Vitamin C (boosts immune system) and Vitamin B-6 ( new cell growth). Along with other goodness including fiber. It's also very good for digestibility. 
  • Rainbow Chard- Sometimes sold under the name "Bright Lights," is a mixture of chard varieties with red, orange, yellow or white colored stalks. It's low in fats ad calories and contains love nutrients such as Vitamin A (protects you from infection & promotes healthy skin/eyes), Vitamin C, Iron (essential for oxygen in lungs), Fiber, and Calcium. 
  • Green Apples- "An apple a day, keeps you know who away." We may all know the actual saying but did you know that apples have a great source of fiber, helps reduce blood pressure, helps to prevent liver problems, high in protein, and helps stabilize blood sugar? That's not even all of it. It's the perfect fruit to add to many detox smoothies and juices. 
  • Spinach- Known to be one of the most nutrient-dense foods in existence  It's rich in over 20 measurable nutrients including calcium and protein. It helps to improve cardiovascular (heart) health, improvs brain functions, protects against physical aging, and includes cancer-fighting antioxidants. Known to also combat ovarian and prostate cancers.

Talk about delicious goodness! I first began my preparation rinsing the rainbow chard and spinach. I always say, "If it has dirt on it, it must be good." Rinsing your veggies is a great practice because anything can be lurking on your produce. Dead or alive. This is especially true if you're an avid fan of bagged lettuce. 





I rinse and allow it to soak for about 15-20 minutes while I go do other things. Allowing it to soak in kosher salt is also a good idea. If using store-bought lettuce and such, it may look good in the store BUT you'll be amazed at how much mold, fungus gnats, and aphids you'll see floating in the water once you remove and THOUROUGHLY rinse your produce again. YUCK! 

After cleansing the chard and spinach, I cleanse the fruits. I haven't graduated to making use of a power juicer just yet but my handy dandy blender has been doing quite well for me and my juices. I use the Hamilton Beach Wavemaker 10-Speed Blender


Proportions Used:

- 2 whole banana halves
- 2 sliced apples
- cup of rainbow chard
- cup of spinach
- 6 to 8 oz. of water (Mineral or Filtered is best)

I allowed it to blend for about 40-60 seconds in 2 to 3 intervals. Or until it was at a juice consistency that I desired. If you need to, you can add more water depending on the liquidation you're going for. 




Now, this happens every time when you juice. You have pulp. When you juice something–fruits, veggies, whatever, unless you're using a blender like me, your juicer separates the juice from the fiber. The juice goes into one bowl and the fiber, the juice pulp, goes into another. When using a blender there is no separation so you could easily strain your juice to separate it from the pulp or not.
I prefer to keep the pulp. It's just more added fiber to my diet. All the leftover juice, I empty into the fancy glass jars you see. If you're a frugal person, you may enjoy using your leftover fiber in a few recipes. 

NOTE: It's best to make juice that you will drink immediately after to get all of its nutrients at its best. Many of the nutrients begin to dissipate after have been made. If you plan to refrigerate, I prefer no longer than 8 hours. I try to drink my juice right after to avoid storage. It's also best to store your juice in glass containers or mason jars. 





Have you tried my Hulk juice recipe? What is your signature green juice? If you never tried a green recipe, will you? Leave your comments below. Don't forget to share with others :)